What is a Birth Doula?
Doula comes from the Greek word meaning “Woman’s Servant”. She is a woman trained and experienced in childbirth who provides continuous physical, emotional, and informational support to a woman during labor, birth, and the immediate postpartum period. A birth doula performs no clinical tasks, but she supports you in the birth you want!
Role of a Birth Doula
- Prenatal meeting(s)
- Phone support
- Support for entire labor: early labor, home/ hospital/ birth center, and first hours after birth
- Postpartum visit(s)
- To help you cope with labor and any unexpected or unwanted events
Tools a Birth Doula May Use
- Massage/ Counter pressure/ Acupressure
- Breathing techniques
- Relaxation techniques- focal points, imagery, sensory therapy, and more
- Hot/ Cold therapies
- Birth balls
- Shower/ Bath
- Knowledge of options
- And more!!!
Fees and Scheduling
- Fees vary from $800- $1800 flat rate
- Usually requires a deposit/ retainer fee upon hire
- On call usually two weeks prior and after due date
- Usually has one or more back up doula(s)